Lex Fridman interviews Lee Smolin, a theoretical physicist, co-inventor of loop quantum gravity, and a contributor of many interesting ideas to cosmology, quantum field theory, the foundations of quantum mechanics, theoretical biology, and the philosophy of science.
He is the author of several books including one that critiques the state of physics and string theory called The Trouble with Physics, and his latest book, Einstein’s Unfinished Revolution: The Search for What Lies Beyond the Quantum.
This conversation is part of the Artificial Intelligence podcast.
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 3:03 – What is real?
- 5:03 – Scientific method and scientific progress
- 24:57 – Eric Weinstein and radical ideas in science
- 29:32 – Quantum mechanics and general relativity
- 47:24 – Sean Carroll and many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics
- 55:33 – Principles in science
- 57:24 – String theory