Lex Fridman interviews Harry Cliff in the latest episode of his podcast.
Harry Cliff is a particle physicist at the University of Cambridge working on the Large Hadron Collider beauty experiment that specializes in searching for hints of new particles and forces by studying a type of particle called the “beauty quark”, or “b quark”. In this way, he is part of the group of physicists who are searching answers to some of the biggest questions in modern physics. He is also an exceptional communicator of science with some of the clearest and most captivating explanations of basic concepts in particle physics I’ve ever heard.
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 3:51 – LHC and particle physics
- 13:55 – History of particle physics
- 38:59 – Higgs particle
- 57:55 – Unknowns yet to be discovered
- 59:48 – Beauty quarks
- 1:07:38 – Matter and antimatter
- 1:10:22 – Human side of the Large Hadron Collider
- 1:17:27 – Future of large particle colliders
- 1:24:09 – Data science with particle physics
- 1:27:17 – Science communication
- 1:33:36 – Most beautiful idea in physics