Lex Fridman interviews Roger Penrose, a physicist, mathematician, and philosopher at University of Oxford.
He has made fundamental contributions in many disciplines from the mathematical physics of general relativity and cosmology to the limitations of a computational view of consciousness. This conversation is part of the Artificial Intelligence podcast.
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 3:51 – 2001: A Space Odyssey
- 9:43 – Consciousness and computation
- 23:45 – What does it mean to “understand”
- 31:37 – What’s missing in quantum mechanics?
- 40:09 – Whatever consciousness is, it’s not a computation
- 44:13 – Source of consciousness in the human brain
- 1:02:57 – Infinite cycles of big bangs
- 1:22:05 – Most beautiful idea in mathematics