TikTok To Stop Scraping Clipboard Data, a Nationwide Bill could Ban Facial Recognition, and Nvidia Discloses Multiple Vulnerabilities.
Hak5’s latest edition of Threatwire highlights some fascinating recent developments in the security field.
- Lamphone Can “See” Your Conversations,
- Facial Recognition Bans are Trending, and
- Honda was Hit With Ransomware
A few years back, I attended a session on ethics issues around facial recognition and tips on defeating the algorithm.
Hak5 explains how to defeat facial recognition in 2020.
It can be difficult to communicate off the grid when there’s no infrastructure. That’s also true when you’re in situations where there is no cellular service or reliable Wi-Fi hotspots, such as a convoy of vehicles that want to talk to talk to each other, or protestors around the world where law enforcement cut out the cell signals.
On this episode of Cyber Weapons Lab, we’ll show how you can use a cheap $35 Raspberry Pi with PirateBox to enable Android phones to talk to each other without using any cell towers.
To learn more, check out the article: https://nulb.app/x6vtu
The Hook Up puts 10 indoor cameras to the test to figure out which one gives the most features while retaining your privacy.
My top 3 choices for those without the ability (or desire) to block cameras from the internet:
- EufyCam Pan & Tilt (Ships June): https://www.eufylife.com/activities/indoorcampreorder
- IoTeX UCAM (Ships July): https://ucam.iotex.io/
- WyzeCam V2 (Shipping Now): https://amzn.to/2ZVdTWZ
If you ever wanted to up your home networking game with backup to Dropbox and secure remote access from everywhere through your own VPN, all based on Docker containers, then check out what Andreas Spiess has done.
In this video, he covers:
- Install Docker with many containers like Mosquitto, Node-Red, Grafana, influxDB, Postgres, Portainer, and Adminer
- Increase the live expectancy of your SD card by disabling swapping and by installing log2ram- Automatically backup all valuable data to the cloud, in our case, to Dropbox
- Setup PiVPN to remotely and securely access our home network from anywhere in the world- Besides that, you will learn a lot of useful things about Docker containers
Links & Code:
- Software and instructions:
- Installation of PiVPN:
- SD card reader for Raspberry:
- Used cooler for RPi 4:
I have adjustable desk to switch between standing and sitting that I got from IKEA.
My only frustration is that it does not remember previous locations – you just can’t press a button and adjust to saved location.
Fortunately, Robin Reiter reverse engineered the electronics of his IKEA Bekant adjustable table and was able to add some memory functionality.
Code & Schematics: https://github.com/robin7331/IKEA-Hackant