Lex Fridman interviews the one and only Richard Dawkins.
Richard Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist, and author of The Selfish Gene, The Blind Watchmaker, The God Delusion, The Magic of Reality, The Greatest Show on Earth, and his latest Outgrowing God. He is the originator and popularizer of a lot of fascinating ideas in evolutionary biology and science in general, including funny enough the introduction of the word meme in his 1976 book The Selfish Gene, which in the context of a gene-centered view of evolution is an exceptionally powerful idea. He is outspoken, bold, and often fearless in his defense of science and reason, and in this way, is one of the most influential thinkers of our time. This conversation is part of the Artificial Intelligence podcast.
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 2:31 – Intelligent life in the universe
- 5:03 – Engineering intelligence (are there shortcuts?)
- 7:06 – Is the evolutionary process efficient?
- 10:39 – Human brain and AGI
- 15:31 – Memes
- 26:37 – Does society need religion?
- 33:10 – Conspiracy theories
- 39:10 – Where do morals come from in humans?
- 46:10 – AI began with the ancient wish to forge the gods
- 49:18 – Simulation
- 56:58 – Books that influenced you
- 1:02:53 – Meaning of life